Monday, October 31, 2011

Faith R.E. #1 & Project

Hello! My name is Amy. Welcome to our blog. I hope you enjoy reading and following us on our journey as we complete experiences of 8 values through the Personal Progress Program. I also completed the Personal Progress program as a youth between the ages of 12-18. I had been thinking about going through the Personal Progress book again and working on some experiences when Jessica and Tiffani started this blog, so it worked out perfect to join in with friends and share our experiences with each other and you! I encourage you to join us in the things we learn and experience. As we share these with you, I ask that you be respectful of the experiences and lessons that are learned by each of us along the way.


I decided to start with an experience in Faith. Here’s the description:

Faith Required Experience #1

The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Learn about faith from the scriptures and living prophets. Read Hebrews 11; Alma 32:17–43; Ether 12:6–22; and Joseph Smith—History 1:11–20. Read two general conference talks on faith. Exercise your own faith by establishing a habit of prayer in your life. Begin by regularly saying your morning and evening prayers. After three weeks of following this pattern, discuss with a parent or leader what you have learned about faith and how daily personal prayer has strengthened your faith. In your journal express your feelings about faith and prayer.

If you click on each of the scripture references, it should take you to the scriptures for you to read if you like.

Here is a link to the 2 general conference talks I read:

https://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/faith-the-choice-is-yours?lang=eng&query=faith

https://lds.org/general-conference/2009/04/faith-in-the-lord-jesus-christ?lang=eng&query=Faith

Along with each value, a project that will take at least 10 hours to complete, is required.

I have been taking an Institute class this semester on the Atonement. Our teacher presented us with a poem titled, Gethsemane and encouraged us to have it memorized by the end of class, which is December 7th. As I started memorizing the poem the value of Faith came to mind as the place to begin my Personal Progress journey. So as I work on the experiences for Faith, memorizing this poem will be my project for this value. I’m hoping to have the poem memorized in 32 days (which will be ~Dec. 3rd)—that’s one line a day! My memorization skills aren’t anything to brag about, but as I exercise Faith, it may just happen!

I will report back in three weeks with my experiences.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Amy, that sounds awesome! I'm so glad you're doing this with us :)

Tiffani said...

Hey Amy! Welcome to our blog/project! I'm excited that we all get to share these experiences together again!
I also started this Faith Requirement so it will be exciting to see what we each have gained at the end of the three weeks!
-Tiffani